Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Maniac Wednesday

Things just get better. Today I was being put in charge to supervise the work at a site quite far away from the office. That part was fine, minus the fact that my dad's car is low and not that suitable for construction area so I have to drive it really carefully and slowly. Then a weird sound come from the back as I ascended down the hill on my quest to find a lavatory, like the sound of something being teared out. Alamak, mampus! So there I stopped the car in the middle of the road since it was 12.30pm - lunch time for all construction worker as well as myself so there would be no worries on any passing lorry. Left the engine running as always since its a short check and much to my relief nothing was teared out though there's some scratch at the bottom of the rear bumper which is hardly noticeable. Much to my horror, I forgot the safety feature of my dad's car - the door locks automatically whenever the driver's door is closed. AAAARRRGHHHH!!!!!

What to do? Everything was still inside the car - and I mean everything, my wallet, my cellphone, my bag all of it I have nothing on me other than the clothes I wear, the engine was still running, I was in dire need of a toilet but I can't just leave the car like that. Ask for help? The construction site was empty as the workers went off to the canteen for lunch. Walk? No way, I can't leave the car like that. Spare keys? Inside my dad's room back home, oh and don't forget, he is still in Egypt. I was hopeless.

There I stood under the scorching afternoon sun, hoping like crazy that anyone would pass through the gravel road. Prayers answered, a big lorry with a big load of soil went by so I waved my hands like a maniac wanting help. Practically I won't do that if I was in the middle of the highway or anywhere in that matter. This time I don't care, I was desperate - then again desperate was an understatement. I need relief - FAST!!!

So, when this abang went out of the vehicle, I explained the situation I'm in and trying so hard not to sound so stupid. Being locked outside the car is other matter, but being locked outside the car with everything else inside it and with the engine running is other matter. Darn! The auto lock feature is supposed to make the car safe for the user but not locking and making the car safe from the owner itself. I knew through the tv that you could pick the car lock but I don't know what went where. This abang tried and voila! it works, my hero, hahaha. He asked me not to tell anyone what he did. In a way I didn't tell anyone but those who read this. In any case, if anyone ask me to point out who, I can't remember his face nor do I know his name. I was in a big emergency. I just hope that tomorrow I won't have another interesting happening waiting *Groans.

No comments: