Sunday, April 06, 2008

Aging gracefully

How many people around you that you know looks way younger than their real age? Well I know one and he looks young because he got the young genetic. Well, okay, he's my older brother who since I was in secondary school friends kept thinking him as my younger brother :P

All that aside,

I LOVE WATCHING OPRAH!!!

Before this, I did think anyone is turning old when and if they enjoy watching Oprah just proven how ignorant could I be. I learnt lots of thing watching Oprah, other than reading of course. Today, Oprah galore on Hallmark. If Starworld kept having Heroes marathon - which I found kind of tiring due to the outcome of the second season, a dose of Dr. Oz on Oprah opened my eyes.

Of course the show is about health, life, entertainment, information, books and many more. Do you know that you can do something for kids with autism? Or do you know that having a nose bidet using a neti pot could help you with sinus problems? Or doing a 'stamp test' could help in detecting E.D. problems? Or that swimming in the Amazon river could cause a type of fish swim into you and then grow in you and the only way to get it out is by surgery? I wouldn't know that.

Well most of the show today were about ageing. How you live your life would reflect how well you may age. The main reason people does not age gracefully is because of stress (who doesn't have them?), too much sugar in the diet, no exercising, smoking, drinking and lack of sleep. Well those are the points that I managed to catch up on. No problem for me in the smoking and drinking sector since I don't do any of them.

I know everyone wants to age gracefully and look younger than their calendar age. I know I want to be healthy when I am old so... I will try my best to:
  1. Manage stress wisely - who says working with kids is easy?
  2. Keep doing my exercise daily - The Swiss ball workout, weights, crunches (thanks to my fitness instructor cousin who kept on yapping me to do workout).
  3. Eat healthily - Less red meat in my diet and less oil except olive oil, more vegetables and enough rice.
  4. Get enough sleep - which is mostly from 9pm to 5am (that's 8 hours)
Since March this year, I'm starting this routine and still doing it, but as my cousin said, it's not getting slender being the goal. From researches that I read in the papers and online, being thin doesn't always mean being healthy and being fat doesn't always mean being unhealthy. The key here is being healthy and that's what I am trying to be.

p.s: Do you know that lifting weights could help you to prevent osteoporosis? More the reason for me to love my dumbbells, hehehe.

5 comments:

Nabil said...

ape plak young genetic...it's because of video games...video games i tell ya...video games is healthy ^_^

Diah said...

kalau main wii tu caya la jugak tapi zaman dulu mane ade wii :p

Nabil said...

objection!!

video games are stress reliever (lagu phoenix wright pun berkumandang)

Anonymous said...

yeap.. dorifto downhill in racing simulation are great breakaways (especially for drift handicap ppl like me) huhuh -_-'

btw, i've played computer games since like standard 5 or so. do i look younger than my age dear? hik-hik ;;) (batting eyelashes)

Diah said...

bangbil: Hold it! (lagu phoenix wright berkumandang)
stress reliever, exercise, eat well and sleep well kombo untuk aging gracefully. bangbil kan buat tu semua :p

curx: kombo dear :D