Saturday, April 26, 2008

Green yap


Earth Day was few days back on 23rd of April- whether you realize it or not and I urged my pupils to tune in Discovery and National Geographic channel for information and who knows the topic might pop up during Johor state level English Carnival which is the end of this month. HBO even aired 'An Inconvenient Truth' - the movie documentary on climate crisis by Al Gore and it was an eye opener. My younger brother who before this kept saying that the green house effect is just a myth people created was silenced. The earth is not getting any cooler at the rate of the carbon dioxide emission we are having now.

One of the part that saddens me was about the polar bear. Some of the polar bears were found dead. Drowned. Picture that. They are known for their ability to swim but due to the melting ice they have to swim for miles to the next icy surface that they could land on.

This is one of the snippets featured in the movie-documentary and Futurama


On Thursday I read an article in NST about a man who refused to use the disposable wooden chopstick that the masses of stalls are using and opted to carry his portable chopstick whenever he's eating out. He was given the weird look by his friends but his action was justified. That was his move to save the environment. Of course, wood = tree, which made me feel bad to forget to bring my chopstick to Sushi King yesterday.

Few months back, an aunt was applauding me for refusing more plastic bag at a well known bakery. She refused it too. It made me feel bad because her reason and my reason were totally different. She was on her move to cut her plastic bag usage while I... was actually dining in at the bakery with my sister and sister in law. Well you know how things go there, the more bread you buy, the more plastic bags you get. Then again I found myself still using and accepting more plastic bags from grocery stores X_X

One of the advantages of teaching science is that I could at least tell them about the environment. They were laughing when I told them about CFC from air cond and refrigerator but was not doing so the day after - thanks to the Self Access Centre at school. They were googling it after the lesson. We learned about renewable and non-renewable energy and from what I heard some was even being scolded when they told their moms to cover the pans and wok while cooking. Well that is one of the way to save natural gas. Of course la some are too strait laced that they were asking their mothers not to even lift the lid to stir the food. Kids. I can't imagine what will happen if I teach them about solar cooking.

A pupil was asking me if I am an environmentalist.
That certainly gave me a pause.
I don't recycle - I don't even know where the recycling centre is, I have loads of plastic bags at home and most of the trash at home is burnt at my backyard. The cans and bottles are thrown at the huge container managed by SWM.

What did I do to save the environment?
What do you do to save the environment?

It will go to our kids and grandchildren in the future.

p.s: It's my mom's birthday today!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor thing, the polar bear surely tired of swimming to find hard ice surface. huhu

Nabil said...

Well, dari susah2 bawak chopstick sendiri, kan lagi mudah pakai sudu + garpu yg diorang sediakan kat situ? ^_^

Better yet, pakai tangan.

Anonymous said...

from along,
honey050603-sweethoney.blogspot

susah betul nak letak kat chatter box ko
anyway...kite meet up end of may nak?

Diah said...

curX: save the polar bears!!
bangbil: sushi king? sudu n garpu makan soba? 0.o
along: sorry dear, end of may schedule a bit tight plus ada wedding dua-pupu kat sini. bila lagi kau balik kota?

Nabil said...

ndak seribu daya ^_^

tangan pun bole...^_^

Anonymous said...

hands rule! barbarian style rawks!
ngeheheheh >:)