Thursday, August 05, 2004

Attack of the Killer Ink Cartridge

No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try I still get sleepy during working hours - and believe me late afternoon is the most critical time for that. Work is slow so far but I know we have lots of them in the file, waiting to be chased by the project owner, hehehehe. I guess this is one of the time when I am dying to do some work. If there's no work, what else could I do than just sit and stare at the very cute display of my desktop (yeah, you got it, I wallpapered Jeff's face on my desktop at the office) Anyway, these are some of the hopeless attempts that I did (some works and some doesn't) to avoid boredom and sleepiness.

  1. Water up the plants all around the office - That only takes effect when I am doing it and not afterwards, so that one pretty much gone down to the drain next time. Besides, I might kill off the plants if I went overboard with the watering. Did that every morning when I got to work and if I water it more in the afternoon, I might kill it.
  2. Read a book - This attempt works a few time especially when both of my bosses are not around. The choice of books plays an important role too. If you read Shakespeare to cease off the sleepiness, I might say that you are making one big mistake, at least for me. Like my big little brother A'an said, he loves to read his chemistry notes at certain nights - to make him sleep, hahahaha
  3. Play with the art glue or some might call it rubber cement - When I say play, I mean play and no sniffing out the smell that comes out from the glue or you have one big issue ahead of you. How to play? easy. Pour out the glue from the tube on a piece of paper and leave it to dry. You can start playing with it by peeling the glue off the paper especially when it is halfway dry. It is called rubber cement for a reason, it is rubber based and when you have the whole chunk of it dry, you got yourself a very small rubber ball that somewhat looks like a huge chunk of booger, hahahaha. I ended up with more than 10 big chunks of the mini balls.
  4. Refill the ink cartridge - When I say refill, I mean refill, not change the whole cartridge. You know, the refill packages that they sold in the computer shops where they supply you with big syringes filled with ink, whether its black or colour. By refilling the cartridge this way, its actually cost effective and of course it is way cheaper than buying the whole thing but you have to change the printer head after 4 times doing the manual refill. One of the cool thing doing this is that you get to see the color absorb into the cartridge (well okay, this does sound a little bit pathetic but this is what people do when they get extremely bored with no other choices left to do). The not so cool thing and believe me, it plays an important role to make you forget that you were even sleepy is that when you get too caught up refilling the ink without realizing that the ink is dripping out of the cartridge on to the carpet/pants/shirt/hands. When this happens, voila! you will forget that u were sleepy in the very first place. I did that today and the yellow ink spurted out of the syringe to my clothes ...tsk tsk tsk.
There you go, things that I did today to keep off from being sleepy. Okay so some might say, "dah tak ada kerja apa?" (translation: what? nothing to do eh?). That is the culprit, I've done it all. Sadly, I did sleep in front of the pc after doing all those attempt, without my head touching the desk and my boss was in her office, giving out a briefing to our part time accountant. Yes, I was sitting straight on the chair and surprisingly I last about 30 minutes without moving, from 3.00pm to 3.30pm. I woke up when she was done with the briefing, talk about my good dose of luck. The blessings that comes in the form of a work that my boss gave me 5 minutes before I got off, its for tomorrow's work. *Sighs, I should join in the Sleepaholic Anonymous

No comments: