Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Hopes, Dreams and Ambitions

Since the day I stepped into the classroom of the primary school, I have been asked by my teachers quite a number of times with this question - What do you want to be when you grow up? This questions have been asked twice a year by the teacher to be filled out for the progress report card which also includes our grades. They would want us to give them 3 career of what do we want to be and sort them out by which one hold our interest most. Luckily in secondary school the teacher would only ask for one job As for my answer, it varies and when I looked back at the progress card, nearly all of the time I answered 3 different jobs. But then again, none of the jobs that I named out has anything to do with what I am doing now. Here is the list of my hope and dreams while I was growing up (haven't stopped growing last I checked) :-

Primary School
Standard 1
:
Ambitions: Teacher, Army and Phone Operator - okay so my knowledge about career is very limited when I was 7. I remember looking at a picture dictionary that have listed the jobs and provided some pictures to go along with and one particular picture that shows a woman sticking plug onto a board looks interesting so I thought, okay, that looks fine.
Hope and Dreams: To grow up really quick - I get so sick of homework and having to be the frequent student who have to stand up on the chair each time in class. Well most of the time I didn't finish it because I forgot and was too caught up playing with my friends after school ends.

Standard 4:
Ambitions: Pilot, Surgeon and Scientist - The scientist part comes at the spur of the moment when my cousin Dayah a.k.a Ninie and I were both regulars at the public library. We had stumbled upon a rack full of encyclopaedia about science - Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, you name it, they got it. For the pilot part, of course, it is cool to be one of the female pilot in Malaysia so I put it in my progress card. But then again, I discovered that I have to wear glasses in standard 6 with the vision of 200 - 50. So the pilot part goes down the drain. Strangely enough, my vision has recovered in secondary school and now its 50-50. For the surgeon, sounds intelligent, hahahaha
Hopes and Dreams: Be one of the person in the 'in' crowd, be a prefect for the obvious reason (which I did in standard 4), to participate in as many sport as I could get into and get myself in any co-curricular activities.

Secondary School
Form 1:
Ambition (take note that there's no "s"): Surgeon - at this point of my life I was thinking that being a doctor is one of the most noblest job in the world. To save life and of course find cure for the most incurable disease. The key point was to make the world a better place to live.
Hopes and Dreams: To get out of the boarding school and went to the normal daytime school. Come to think of it, it is comical and I am glad that I didn't get out of the school. It was the best years of my life, still is.

Form 2:
Ambition: Writer - My brother, Bangbil brought home a paperback novel by Christopher Pike entitled Remember Me. At first I was always thinking, what is so good about that book that he read it so many times. So one day when I was sent home because of a case of high fever and my brother was at his boarding school, I took that book and read it. I was hooked and haven't stopped buying books ever since. I have written some stories myself and my friends love it. Right now, I have it stashed in an undisclosed location - because I can't stop laughing that I have actually written those.
Hopes and Dreams: To spend the rest of my life at the school with my friends. That is pretty much unrealistic as time never waits for anyone.

Pre - University
Ambition: Anything that has nothing to do with dissection and chemistry - I don't have that much choice in pre-u because I was offered a spot at the matriculation centre with science course so my future career was somewhat fuzzy in my eyes. Thought of wanting to give the carrer to be a surgeon a second try until one lab session where I was told to dissect a rat. I nearly passed out but then since I saw one of my lab mate - a guy who actually fainted (he's one of the 'macho' guys) I just told myself to be strong. But I know I don't want to make a career out of dissecting a living being. That is how I landed myself in this field that I'm in now - not so much of chemistry and of course, I don't have to perform surgery on any living things.
Hopes and Dreams: Wish that I could turn back the time and stay in the secondary school years, hahaha.

Present days
Ambition, Hope and Dreams: Nowadays to me, a career doesn't make a person but the person makes the career for them. Maybe some might not get what I want to say but that is my thoughts about career. It doesn't really matter what work we do today as long as we are happy with it and be satisfied. The most importants thing is we get to spend our time with our loved ones. That is my dream - to spend my life to see the face of my loved ones and be happy. Might sound a little bit naive but that is my opinion. Be happy, be good and be loved :D


"What is life without a dream?"
Edmond Rostand

No comments: