Friday, July 30, 2004

Worms Armageddon

What does the word 'Worm' remind you of?

a) The cute game of worm that goes on battling each other and say cute stuff like - "you'll pay for that" in a very cute voice and with cool weaponary such as the nagging old woman who goes on nagging until it explode.

b) The ringworm - contagious fungus infection that can affect the scalp, the body (particularly the groin), the feet, and the nails. Despite its name, it has nothing to do with worms. The name comes from the characteristic red ring that can appear on an infected person's skin. Ringworm is also called Tinea.

c) The fishbait - the soft pinkish worm that could be found in a freshly dug ground, best used for fishbait

d) The virus that keeps people off from internet connection

For this time being, my answer would be the last one - although at normal daily basis, worm always reminded me of that game. Anyway today's work at the office becomes quite horriffic when i tried to clean up my pc. It was lagging anyway so there I am trying to delete all the temporary files and the 'oh so useless' files in it. Things become quite panicky when I opened the WINDOWS folder and got that message from Norton saying that the pc has been infected with W32.SasserD. My thought was "Oh DARN!" so there I go, trying to log on to the internet with the thought of wanting to know how to get rid of the worm off my pc. One of the good thing is that my IP is not listed in the affected list so I still could browse through the internet but the infected icon bugs the heck out of me.
Updated the virus definition, did wht the page told me to do on how to kill off the worm and run a full system scan. And then it hits me again right in between my eyes. 1502 files were infected with worms. Whoaaaaa!!!!!! W32.SasserD, W32.Spybot, and W32.Korgo. How the heck does it got to that number? Last time I had a brush with a worm virus, it was W32.Blaster. Darn near tear my head off everytime i want to log into the internet. I thought it was the modem that keeps me off the net and after updating and running the scan, I have the worm. I was cleaning the pc when I was raving to Jeff about the worms in the system. He gave me one good tip on confining the sasserD and the possibility of sending it off to anyone who bugs me, but sadly, i totally forgot about that after being reeled down at the thought of having 1502 infected files. I'll do that next time I have worms again which I hope not in this nearest time.
It was tiring having to write every infected files in the list and when u have to delete the files manually. Took me hours (Hey, I'm no computer genius) and after 2 more times of the full system scan, I was satisfied that the computer is finally clean. But it was near to 4pm and I lost all the focus and concentration I had on the quotation that I was working on. Darn worms!

No comments: