Sunday, November 07, 2004

Home Delivery

The heat of Raya is drawing closer. Every Malay speaking radio station all over Malaysia could be heard playing the favourite all time raya tunes - from Uji Rashid and Hail Amir, Sudirman, M Nasir and the old tune from Saloma (honestly I forgot who sang the famous Selamat Hari Raya song but I have a strong feeling it's Saloma). For today my Mak gave me the duty of cooking the nasi himpit and pre-frying the chicken for our advance food exchanging session that usually happens on the eve or on the day of raya i.e: munjung - Javanese word that covers up visiting and bringing food for neighbours / relatives. Kinda like the Malay word kunjung, means the same anyway. I was on a fast tempo doing the cooking because of my weekend date with Jeff until one of the stove sets ran out of gas. Called up Abah as fast as I could to buy new gas cylinder while checking up my pc (good thing having a network hub now - no need for the constant fight over the modem and pc with my big lil bro). Managed to get all done at about 11 and went over to spent the day with my baby.

By 5 pm start packing up the food to be distributed to nearby relatives and neighbours and as always I was given the duty to drive up and send the food. First trip was to Tok Long's - my late granma's oldest sister. She was still asleep, didn't manage to meet and greet her. She's one of the coolest 'atuk' around and she's 90+. Next stop was to my aunt's house. By the time I got home Mak already finished distributing the food to our neighbours. Even told my mom to ask our front neighbour if the pineapple tart we ordered are ready yet - sadly no. Had to wait for raya for that. Mak Intan's pinapple tart is the best!!!

And of course, the lontong for buka puasa (break fast) was fabulous, hehehehe. Though I am really really sure that the sambal kacang (nut gravy) taste fine. I accidentally used yesterday's chrysanthemum tea (oops!) to blend the dried chilli instead of plain water. Mak mixed the tea container up among the group of jugs. Didn't realize it until I washed it up... sure figures for the ants that I kept on swatting.

No comments: