Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Cerita Cinta Agung



After waiting for a very long time since Puteri Gunung Ledang (Princess of Mount Ophir) was out at the cinema on the National Day (August 31st), I finally get a chance to see it yesterday. It is one of the most publicized Malaysian movie and by not seeing it, it means that I would miss the greatest Malaysian love story ever told on screen.

My first lay out plan for the day with my brother A'an was proven not effective - thanks to the bus that he took from home and thanks to MegaPavillion JB for not screening it anymore. Even if I don't like going to Golden Screen Cinema Leisure Mall, what can I say, that is the only place we have that is still showing Puteri Gunung Ledang. I manage to get off work very early, due to some business to do about my company foreign workers at Fomema and Immigration. But still it sucked big time when I have to wait on An for more than an hour from 4.30 to 6.30. And what makes things worse, my mom's cellphone at him was out of order so I couldn't keep track of his whereabouts. The show at Leisure Mall was at 6.25 and 9.10 but since the delay by the bus, we caught up with the 9.10 show.

The movie was proven worth the obstacles that i've gone through. The cinamatography was great, the editing was good and the script was so lovely that honestly, made me cry at certain part. Two big Malay legendary figure were brought together in this movie - Hang Tuah, the greatest admiral in Malacca History and Gusti Puteri Retno Dumillah a.k.a Puteri Gunung Ledang the princess from Majapahit, two lovers torn because of responsibility to their countries and their own feelings for each other.

My favourite part would be when both of them met up together at the waterfalls of Gunung Ledang after their last meeting in Majapahit (good camera technique at this part that it makes me feel what the characters were feeling at that time, very poignant... makes me think of Jeff so much). But the purpose of Tuah meeting her up was not that all good. It was for the Sultan's behalf for her hand in marriage which Gusti Puteri refused very wisely, by giving the Sultan outrageous conditions and one of them being the crown prince's blood. But in the end, Tuah and Gusti Puteri did not get together because of the curse that the Sultan put upon Gusti Puteri to live in seclusion at Gunung Ledang and no one is to be allowed to see her for the price of her request to remain at Gunung Ledang and for refusing the marriage.

Anyway, I must say and agree to my brother Bangbil that M. Nasir is the greatest Hang Tuah yet by he way he said the words and the silat moves that he do. Overall, I would say this film is more or less like the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon but unlike CTHD, I did not fall asleep watching Puteri Gunung Ledang. Maybe because of the script or maybe because of good editing. With PGL, I know this year we would have a movie worthy enough for the International Film Festival.

Layar berbelok-belok,
Sawah dibongkar di tempat tenang,
Yang tinggal hati tak elok,
Yang pergi hati tak tenang,

Bila sampai waktu, kita akan bersama.

-Hang Tuah-
As quoted from Puteri Gunung Ledang


No comments: