Saturday, May 21, 2005

1st Day In Singapore

1 o'clock was getting near as I started to clean up my desk and getting ready to bolt out. My boss was already out, keys in hand and when the time came i made a mad dash to my car and drove towards my uncle's house in Larkin. Made it there in 30 minutes and it was raining heavily that the road was barely visible. Went in for a quick bath and hoping like crazy that the rain would stop at about 2 - I don't want to be bringing a big umbrella and a big bag when I met up with my friends in Singapore.

My first trip there was fine, went through the checkpoint at Tambak and then again in Woodlands. Actually after the checkpoint at Tambak, I didn't know that I could take just any bus of the same company to get across the boarder. All I know I have to take a bus to Kranji MRT and then take a train to Bishan. Good thing an auntie was asking the bus driver whether the bus goes to Kranji or not so after she asks, the auntie has found herself a temporary stalker - me.
Called up my grandma 2b when the train reached Woodlands MRT as instructed and counting off the station I have to go through. Counted 7... or was it 10? Nevermind. Called her again as I alighted from the train and these are some of the dialogue that gone by

"Granma I'm here already, where should I wait?"
"Where are you now?"
"In front of the station"
"You sure? I'm in front of the station"
"I'm at the door of Junction 8"
"I can't see you, okay I'm going to the door. Eh, where are you?"
"I'm moving back to the train ticketing centre"
"Aiyaaaa you move around, stay put"
And we finally met, hehehehe. Thank goodness no need for roses or anything as identification.

It was quite a walk, turn there turn here alley here alley there, road here, bus station there that I told her I am going to get lost if I go there for the second time on my own which she pacify that even another friend of ours Victoria only got it right on the 3rd visit. My twin and her boyfriend - a.k.a my bro in-law in a way (everyone in AE is related, hehehe) was already there and Vic had just arrived. It was really good to finally meet someone who I only know of through typing messages in the flesh.

Jackee came not long after, followed by granma's friend, Linda (I hope I got the name right during the introdution in the loud KTV room) and we were all talking, singing and having fun. I polished off the potato chips because I was too hungry and then granma came in with a cake in her hand - it was a surprise for the birthday 'boy', Jackee. At 5 ish another friend, Anny from Indonesia called up, her plane just landed down and would be meeting us up during dinner. Granpa Ken called up grandma and we took turn talking and passing the phone and yes, I didn't forget to ask for allowance, hehehehe.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Granma and cake, yummy cake

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Black and Blue Gang, hehehehe

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My portion of the cake, looks so lovely and only took less than 5 minutes to gobble it all up :D

It was time for dinner and all of us took the mrt to Newton. To me in Singapore its all about walking and taking the mrt - like in KL, which is definitely better to take a train than driving into the town area besides knowing that you can't get lost taking a train unless you don't really now where you are going. Finally got to meet Anny and Jackee kept on kidding her on her 'one-way-trip' to Seattle. We were basically forcing up Anny to eat since like we said the food there won't have the same essence as it was over here. Granma fed us lots of food and a very interesting dish - her favourite 'tulang' (bone - as in cow's bone with some meat on it). Its not the 'sup tulang' that we have over here but its bone cooked in chilli. The sauce was so divine and spicy that Anny couldn't eat it. Even my twin and I kept on raving about the sauce that we had. I hope that granpa could stomach spicy food. And it was also my first time drinking sugarcane with lemon. Never had it with lemon before and it felt so good after hours screaming on top of my lungs.

Went back to the inn afterwards - the inn's name is 'The Inn at Temple Street', no kidding, when I asked bro last time on the net, where would we be staying, he said the inn at temple street, and so I asked him what the inn's name, he said again its the inn at temple street. Then I finally got it that the name of the inn is the inn at temple street. Very easy name and very confusing. Its located at the heart of Chinatown and it is lively at night. When I checked in, we did a comparison of the rooms that we got. It was too clear that my room was much bigger and the view that I got was much better, facing towards the street and not the back alley like his. 3 of us went online for a while using the computer at the ground floor. It was so maddeningly slow that we could only tolerated 30 minutes of surfing - other than the fact that they charge S$4 for 30 minutes and S$6 for an hour, not inclusive of GST. That when my twin pointed out, "Very convenient, with a service as slow as that, everyone would have to wait an hour". Before retiring, my twin pointed out something - we didn't take picture with Anny and her plane leaves to Seattle at 6am the next day. Darn.

No comments: