Friday, March 11, 2005

To Buy Or Not To Buy

Again, I have been away from the blogpage - mine and everyone else's. Between the neverending revised quotations and designs for the client, I found myself stuck in a whirlpool. The feeling is more or less like being stuck in a front load washing machine that keeps going on and on and on and you'll never know when the machine will stop. Despite what I wrote in my last entry about having to live on a tight budget this week I have to come up with a decision about money again. To buy or not to buy a new CPU. Well yeah I still have my saving and my last year bonus so it could cover up the expense. My CPU is already 3 years old, loyal servant of mine for the whole university years despite the fact that too many times I blew the RAM up - thank god for the 3 years hardware warranty or I'd be toast. here's the list of whts going on with my CPU:-
  1. Can't access to registry editor - this could be bad news if I have worms in my system and couldn't delete it due to the registry.
  2. Can't detect CD drive. Its hard because I need the drive to reformat my pc and I haven't even have Adobe Photoshop and my digital camera driver installed in it yet.
  3. No Microsoft Office. I was about to install it and then again, no CD drive, no talk.
  4. Sometimes after a few minutes working with my pen drive, it can't detect it too. Nearly had heart attack too many times as I was working with my designs.
  5. All the floppy disk that comes after a process from the pc could be considered as toast. Can't be read on other pc.
  6. Can't access into someone else's webcam or will have error. Major frustrating.
  7. Can't close any IM windows. If I do, the whole yahoo messenger will have error.

I have talked to a few pc technicians about my pc and told them about the diagnosis. Mostly said that there's something wrong with my motherboard - darn, I had just bought that 4 months ago. And some said about my hard disk drive. So again I have to make a decision, based on this list:-

Pro:

  1. I don't have to stay back at the office to do my work - enough complaining about getting home late from my mak as already is. I could only do my AutoCAD work at home but not Excel.
  2. Could continue with my Sims fever - I played that a lot and since I had to reformat the pc last time, the saved data was all gone
  3. Could continue my story writing - ooops erm, nevermind. I write for my own self satisfaction and no one ever read it. Save for my friend in school when I wrote at that time - Sue, ingat lagi hope & chances? oh and your 'Monster' hehehehe. Again this is interrupted by the non existence of Words.
  4. The most important of all - Internet access. Details not needed.
  5. New pc, new cost, new stuff, a year warranty.
Con:
  1. Ka-ching!!!!
  2. Old pc, repair, cost a lot but the inside is still old and still prone to more damages.

Last decision, I bought the CPU - take note, only the CPU with my hand pick specifications on the motherboard, RAM, hard disk, graphic card, combo drive (was opting for a DVD-RW but being the cost effective person I am, I skip that) yadda yadda yadda and its done. They thought I am a student - being near to UTM and since I still have the student face I didn't say anything when they gave me the special price. Gonna collect it today after work. Just can't wait.

Before I forgot, SPM result was announced yesterday and my brother got a good result. Like sister like brother - he followed my footsteps and made my parents unhappy. Not the bad kind of unhappy but the weird joking unhappy. What did he do? Well he aced in both his english subjects - english and english for science & technology and for Malay language, he got 4. I must admit he's better in that than me - I got 5, and got 1 for my english, hahahaha. All my mak could say (the same thing that she said to me 6 years ago)- "anak jawa ni... kat rumah cakap bahasa apa?"

Oh and I read Dayah's blog. Apparently Shalli proposed last night and the 'merisik' delegation will be coming tomorrow. Hmm..... sound very hasty to me. All the best Dayah, love you bunch cousin.

...... Baby i miss you TONS..........

No comments: