Saturday, January 28, 2006

Couch Potato Alert

It is the starting of the long weekend holiday. It's gonna be Chinese New Year tomorrow, and the Hijriyah New Year on Tuesday. As I started my journey to the office, the road seemed deserted. Well, it is after all the eve of the new year. Those who are celebrating would be busy making their way to their hometown and the rest whom are celebrating the holiday that comes would also be going back or at least going somewhere with their friends and family. For me and my collegue Aidah, we swapped J-drama vcds to be watched over the weekend since we basically live at our hometown with our parents and doesn't have any plans, other than relaxing and watching tv (sounds boring but acceptable).

I borrowed her 'Gokusen' and 'Naruni'. Just found out that most of the J-drama vcd on my rack had Takuya Kimura in it. Wallao, I know I like Takuya but it was quite disconcerting to see his face on all of the covers. Being a J-drama junkie as myself I started watching the video right away, paused for a while since I gotta do the last minute check up before the holiday at the site and then continued right after I got home. Managed to finish the whole episodes just now and I am totally wowed.

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Gokusen was a comic based drama released in 2002, I think. About a teacher, Yamaguchi Kumiko or known as Yankumi by her rebellious students. At first I thought it was the same cliche as GTO, though at the first glance all I had in mind was that Yankumi was a serious nerd teacher who was going to get a good beating from her future students. There was a twist to the story.

Yankumi was the grand daughter to one of the most prominent Yakuza gang leader. Her parents was killed when she was 7 and was raised by her grandfather since then. As a new teacher at an all-boys school, she was unluckily put in charge for 3-D, the worst of worst class in the school. She may looked a bit dorky at the first glance but there were some episode where she took over some gangs who messed with her students single-handedly. Underneath the glasses and ponytail, she actually had a temper which all her grandfather's goons are terrified of. She was trying hard to cover up her Yakuza family background from the school but it was difficult since she kept slipping up Yakuza mannerism in conversations.

It was a good watch and as Aidah said to me earlier before I started watching the drama, the quiet class leader, Sawada Shin played by Matsumoto Jun is so kawaii!! hahaha. Now I'm waiting for the drama 'Hana Yori Dango' or as we all recognized it better as the original Japanese version of Meteor Garden to reach over here. Matsumoto Jun starred in it as Domyouji or as in Meteor Garden's Jerry Yan's Dao Ming Si. The story's the same but from the reviews I read, it was better than Meteor Garden. Oh goody!

Happy Holiday Everyone!!!

No comments: