Friday, October 15, 2004

First Day of Ramadhan

Today is the first day for the fasting month - always referred as to the best month of everything. For health, for the weight watchers, for the festivities, for charity, for religious duties and not forgetting, the month to get enough change to be given away on the eid which comes after the fasting month. This year's festivities also marks the first Eid that I would have to give out green packets. Its more or less like the Chinese red packet only that the green packet should be given out by anyone who have started working. Usually those who are in their teens are only qualified to get the green packets from relatives - if they are lucky. Last year, funnily a cousin of mine gave me a green packet just for laugh and he's the same age as me, only that he has started work while I was still a student at that time. Anyway, I have start collecting RM1 notes and thinking that for the green packet giving out session, I would be doing a lucky draw, hehehehe. Those who are lucky might get RM10 and those who are not, RM2 would be enough (that goes to you too Dayah - though I think you're way past the age for green packets and of course, I guess your scholarship is sufficient, hehehehe)

The shopping complex have started selling out the raya cards and also Deepavali - we are gonna have a double celebration this year. Because of the difference in the Islamic calendar that is based on the moon cycle, the date for the eid and fasting month would always change. Few years back, we were having double celebration with the Chinese New Year and a year before, it was with Christmas. Setting out a budget for the eid festivities has already straining my head - and of course my pocket. Too many things to get for everyone, too many sales to look at, its easier for me to say too many everything. Though for this raya, I am eyeing out for a new shoes - stilleto ones ;) (have to get the balance in check because I nearly fell wearing Eena's). I have enough Baju Kurung for this year's festivities and besides, I don't wear it that much because of the nature of my job and only wear it during formal occasions and weddings. And not forgetting the tiki lamp ala lampu pelita that I saw in Jusco few days back - a must have for me.

This fasting month also marks a year of my late grandma's passing away. She died on a Monday morning in the fasting month, a good day (Another monday, hmmmm). Al- Fatihah.

No comments: