Saturday, October 16, 2004

Second Day of Fasting

I left home this morning to work with a feeling of envy towards everyone at home. It is the third Saturday of the month - off day for the government workers. It was even a public holiday here on the first day of Ramadhan yesterday but still..... there I go working while everyone were dozing off after the Subuh prayers (since there's no need to cook breakfast and all the housework was done the day before, it is basically a day off - and I mean way OFF except for dear ol' me). Work is usual, went to the site for pic taking, talked and joked with some of the workers on site, went back to the office and do my work. Somehow it doesn't make any difference whether I'm fasting or not - I still feel okay. Usually had a really huge breakfast which now it is a very early breakfast at about 4.30am and i usually don't take lunch and I always take dinner when i got home at about 7, which is about the same time as breaking the fast. So there, no difference.

Went home at 2 - have to wait for quite a long time until my boss could find her keys before I could go back home or I would be locking her inside the office 2 times in a row. Good thing Mr Lok was nearby to unlock her from the tower (cheh! okaylah 2nd storey can be considered as a tower because it is the top floor after all). Took a nap after prayer and woken up by my cousin. My youngest uncle, Pak Din, Aunty Bariah and Irra is currently at home, visiting. Went out in the late afternoon to fulfill the food craving of A'an and Irra. An wanting to have lettuce (anak Jawa with mat saleh taste) and Irra wanting to have kuih cara or talam berlauk but sadly, none were sold at Bazaar Ramadhan. Like always, shopping for food when one was fasting was terrible. There were too many choices to choose from and during the month there are so many food sold at the bazaar to cater the need and the tummy of the people. Bought too many food but even though we know too well that in the end, after drinking up when we were breaking the fast, the food amount on the table are enough to make us full.

By the time we got home, Pak Din was out carrying the ladder - a ritual whenever he comes to visit to climb up the coconut tree for our drink. Mom cooked fried kuetiow, boiled tapioca (my all time favorite kampung dish), fried banana, aunty Bariah brought keropok lekor and bubur kacang and by the time our neighbour Mak Piah brought us food - it was rojak mee, we were ready to groan. Its customary for us to exchange dishes during the fasting month and right before breaking fast, we could only look at the food. For drinks.... 3 types - coconut, tea and coffee (my sister Kak Wa is crazy about coffee). Okaylah, can consider as 'buruk lantak' (take note - that doesn't apply on me, hehehe).

Jeff is gonna be away for a few weeks due to his moving back to his own house after it went through renovation - so there won't be any phone line for a few weeks (*sob sob) My, its gonna be a very longgggggggggggggg week.

No comments: